Thursday, April 1, 2010

Science Fiction

make good choices by Evil Erin
  
    I have never been a huge fan of science fictions books, but recently I had to  read one called, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.  When I started to read the book I did not think I was going to like it at all, I thought it was weird but as I continued to read it, I grew very interested in it!  This book talks about how our world is so obsessed with looking good and how people can act brain washed by this way of thinking.  I thought this was a very powerful and good message to tell young children while they are at the stage in their lives where they are so impressionable. This book stresses how beauty is not everything even though it may feel like that sometimes.  Westerfeld wants his readers to understand that the quality of the person is what counts, not how he or she looks. I thought this was a very interesting to that such a huge and problematic issue was discussed so heavily in a children's chapter book.  It made me think that maybe this is where these issues should be discussed. If we are able to educate our younger population to see a person for who they are and not what they look like we might be able to deal with this problem.  So much pressure is put on our young people to look a certain way or to dress a certain way if they want to be attractive or desirable.  This problem leads to hurt feelings, eating disorders, and a lack of self confidence.  I think it is horrible that we are taking away confidence from our young people when they are just starting to try and build up their self confidence.  I really enjoyed this book and their view on this issue.  I think it is a great book to read in your classroom to ensure that your students are aware of this problem and to see what they have to say about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment